Salad sounds like a word dedicated to Summer… fresh and colorful, light and appetizing especially when it comes to green salads…. Winter salads are often starchy in order to fight properly against cold weather and snowy days….
You may still want something green and colorful as a side of your dish or as a main as well but you find it difficult to make it look appetizing AND tasty as most of the vegetables you were thinking of are not as you expected them to be those days…. Tasteless tomatoes, watery cucumber, peppers that are not crunchy…
Why don’t you use seasonal vegetables and other ingredients that will make your salad so special?
Here is an idea….
Ingredients for 6 people
- 500g of baby spinach washed and spinned
- 1 small fennel bulb washed
- 3 oranges
- A handful of dried cranberries
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
Finely grate the zest of 2 oranges and reserve it in a bowl.
Using a sharp serrated knife, peel the skin of the oranges and carefully cut the orange segments. Reserve them in a bowl and squeeze the extra juice in the zest bowl.
Cut the fennel into 2 and get rid of the heart of the fennel that is too hard and not very tasty. Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, finely slice the fennel and let it marinate in the orange zest and juice. Add a little olive oil, salt and pepper and reserve in the fridge for 30 minutes.
To assemble, layer some baby spinach in a salad bowl then add some fennel, orange segments and cranberries and spread some of the marinade of the fennel on top. Check the seasoning first. You may want to add some extra acidity. In that case, you can add some cider vinegar for example.
Keep on layering until you finish all the ingredients.
- Use blood oranges or grapefruits instead of oranges
- Add finely chopped dill or chervil in the marinade
- Use mixed leaves or rocket instead of spinach
- Replace cranberries with pomegranate seeds
- Add some pumpkin seeds or nuts such as pecans or pine nuts
- Add crumbled feta, grilled haloumi or shredded mozzarella for a more consistent salad